17 Jan The Closet Edit
How to create your dream wardrobe, with Kim Groberg.
From the time I was a little girl and put price tags on the clothes in my closet to pretend I had a store, I have been a fashionista. Having worked in luxury retail for most of my career, I’ve been fortunate enough to own pieces from Dior, Valentino, and Escada, to name a few. My closet has been described by some as a “dream closet”. However, given my routine closet “edits”, I think some may be surprised by what they would find.
How often do you say “I have nothing to wear” as you look at a closet filled with clothes?
We all have our trusted, “go to” pieces, but how do we justify the rest?
If you can commit to one thing this year, do yourself a favor and commit to a closet edit!
Key Closet Essentials
While you will always want to add key fashion items for the season to your wardrobe, here are some basic pieces that every closet should have:
- White Blouse
- Sheath Dress That Makes You Feel Fabulous
- Perfect Fitting Pair of Jeans
- Statement Necklace
- Strappy Sandal
- Classic Pump
- Blazer in Black or Navy
- Simple Elegant Gown
- Leather Jacket
- Leather Pants
- Chic Handbag
If you have these items in your closet, you will never be without the perfect thing to wear, as these are foundation pieces to building a great wardrobe.
The Closet Edit
While the thought of getting rid of something that you may want to wear someday may make even the bravest fashionista anxious, it’s the key to creating an efficient wardrobe.
- Pick your ten favorite pieces in your wardrobe, your “go tos”. Keep those aside.
- Pick ten things you know don’t fit. Along with your commitment to lose those 10 lbs THIS year, they need to go.
- Pick ten things you love, but never know what to wear them with. Put these with your ten favorite pieces.
- Now look at your closet. What is left hanging? Use the following tips to edit some more.
- If it doesn’t make you happy to look at it and feel fabulous when you wear it, then it needs to go.
- If you have tried it on 3 times and you still haven’t worn it, you probably won’t.
- If you bought it because it was a great buy and the tag is still on it, it probably wasn’t such a great buy after all.
A New Philosophy On Shopping
For this year, try something new when you think about adding to your wardrobe. Think of these tips:
- Don’t buy something if you can’t work it into 3 different outfits within your wardrobe.
- Always be shopping – it is when you don’t need something that you will always find the best deals and the best pieces!
- Shop in unique and unexpected places. I love to shop when I travel and you can find the most unique pieces in an unexpected place like a boutique in an airport.
- You don’t have to spend a lot to look fabulous! Some of the pieces I get the most compliments on are a bracelet that I got for $1.00 at Forever 21 and a pair of shoes I got on clearance at TJMaxx for $6.00. It’s all how you put it together.
- Swap clothes with your BFF. My BFF and I constantly do this and it is so fun and helps to change up your wardrobe without costing a dime.
Along with all of your other goals and commitments for 2018, try making these closet edits and spend more time feeling fabulous in what you’re wearing instead of figuring out what to wear!Here’s to a fashionable 2018!
Kim Groberg is an Ambassador with India Hicks and founder of High Style for A Hundred. She combines her passion for fashion with her love for giving back through Get Together, Give Togethers where she is able to present her India Hicks collection and give a percentage back to the charities she supports. With her extensive background in executive positions within luxury retail, she also helps clients develop wardrobes that enable them to look like they have spent a million on their wardrobes but only spent a hundred. Kim serves on the Board of Directors for Dress for Success Southern Nevada and enjoys her biggest job of all, being Mom to her 10 year old daughter Alexis.