05 Jan Must Haves to Help you Kick Off 2018
Sometimes it can be hard to jump right into the new year after months of holiday festivities. If you’re anything like me, your stomach and home are probably feeling stuffed to the brim and your trashcan is full of empty wine bottles and shattered ornaments. Christmas morning my skin starts to itch as I watch my children stack piles of new toys on my living room floor. Where will I put them all? We’re already at capacity here people!! The walls start to close in around me and I’m suddenly lost in a sea of tinsel and guilt.
Well, ready or not, the new year is here!
I like to kick off my new year with a little de-cluttering, a deep clean, and a couple of purchases to start the year off right.
Here’s my go to list of purchases for the new year…
1) A New magazine subscription– I stumbled upon Domino magazine the last time I traveled to LA. I was desperate for something other than an OK! Magazine but, sadly, I’ve never been smart enough to complete a Sudoku puzzle. I paid a whopping 11$ for this Domino magazine- and surprisingly it was well worth it. I recently went online and signed up for a year subscription for just 45$- much easier to swallow. Remember when your Highlights magazine came in the mail? How excited were you? Well that’s exactly how I felt when my first Domino showed up! Pop over to www.magazine.com when you have a moment and find a magazine that excites you. If you think it will get you through 30 minutes on the treadmill, move forward with the purchase!
2) New bed sheets– I don’t know what went on in your bed in 2017. And I don’t want to comment on what went down in mine. But, I think we can all agree that there is something gloriously refreshing about a new set of sheets! If you want to splurge you can opt for a new comforter, but if your significant other is anything like mine you may not want to rock the boat this early in the year!
3) A New perfume or cologne scent– Scents have this amazing ability to transport you to a certain time and place in your life. Choosing a new scent is just another way of setting the tone for your new year. This year I chose a scent that’s softer and more floral than normal. Maybe I will relax and smell the roses a bit more. Probably not, but it smells delicious.
4) New running shoes and/or workout gear– If you Google “New Years Resolutions” you’ll be hard pressed to find a link that doesn’t have mention of “losing weight” or “getting fit”. Hundreds of new “gym-goers” will pack into already full spin classes, and squeeze into coveted gym parking spots only to decide (after less than a week) that they will wait until next year to get fit. If you want to get fit, I don’t blame you. I fully support you. And I encourage you to buy a new pair of workout shoes and/or a hot new pair of LuLu pants, because half the battle is looking the part. Dress for success (or sweat, in this case)…and it shall be yours.
[ezcol_1half]Adidas X_plr SEASAME BLACK WHITE[/ezcol_1half] [ezcol_1half_end]
5) New socks and underwear– Jan 2017: Total pairs of matching socks 14. December 2017: Total pairs of matching socks 4.
WTF?! Don’t ask me where socks go. The bottom line is this-they disappear, and you probably need new ones.
6) New coffee cup (bonus points if you can find one with your mantra for 2018)– My day doesn’t start without coffee. If you’re one of those “warm-water-with-lemon” types, good for you, but with two kids under the age of 6, coffee is my Truth. Unlike dish sets, or table settings, when it comes to coffee cups you can buy just one and it doesn’t have to coordinate with anything else you own, or even make sense. I have coffee cups with funny sayings on them, coffee cups with a Spanish flare, and floral coffee cups just because they’re pretty and remind me of my Nana. If you’re anything like me your coffee cup is the first thing you see when you wake up (and it doubles as a wine glass when you want to closet drink). So spend $4 on a coffee cup that makes you happy.
Happy Hunting Friends!